Saturday, October 20, 2012

"Blessed are they that mourn: for they shall be comforted."

The Sermon on the Mount (found in Matthew 5 of the New Testament) has great doctrine. I don't have much to say tonight; this weekend has been full of extreme happiness and incredible sorrow, and my prayers are with many tonight.

In my New Testament institute class, we really hammered Matthew 5 and the beatitudes. One thing I wrote in my journal was "Blessed are ye -----> ALWAYS."

In times of sorrow, it's nearly impossible to fight the words out "Thy will be done" but again, sometimes it's the only thing that brings us peace. The man upstairs knows exactly what we need, so why pray? Why do we need to ask him, he ALREADY knows. So if he already knows, apparently WE are the ones that don't know. We need to find out what we need. 


Elder Holland said something along the lines of this: 
"In the heat and pressure is when we find out what we're really made of." 

Shayne M. Bowen gave a wonderful talk on losing loved ones and the sacredness of it. Read it HERE.
Honestly, go read that talk. It was beautiful.


Remember as you attended the funeral of your loved one the feelings in your heart as you drove away from the cemetery and looked back to see that solitary casket—wondering if your heart would break.
I testify that because of Him, even our Savior, Jesus Christ, those feelings of sorrow, loneliness, and despair will one day be swallowed up in a fulness of joy. I testify that we can depend on Him and when He said:
“I will not leave you comfortless: 
I will come to you.
“Yet a little while, and the world seeth me no more; but ye see me: because I live, ye shall live also.”5
I testify that, as stated in Preach My Gospel, “as we rely on the Atonement of Jesus Christ, He can help us endure our trials, sicknesses, and pain. We can be filled with joy, peace, and consolation. All that is unfair about life can be made right through the Atonement of Jesus Christ.”6
I testify that on that bright, glorious morning of the First Resurrection, your loved ones and mine will come forth from the grave as promised by the Lord Himself and we will have a fulness of joy. Because He lives, they and we shall live also. In the name of Jesus Christ, amen.
I challenge all of you to pray for what you need in your life right now. The answer probably won't come the first time you ask, but don't quit asking. Luke 11:10-13. 

This post didn't really have any direction, sorry. Just what's on my mind.
Peace and love,
abs

4 comments:

  1. Abbey! You are an amazing Writer.. yes I stalk your blog & read it.. ha but seriously! So good. & your posts are always inspiring! Thank you! (:

    ReplyDelete
  2. Last October's general conference had a great talk about prayer... J. Devn Cornish said, "Our Bible Dictionary explains: “Prayer is the act by which the will of the Father and the will of the child are brought into correspondence with each other. The object of prayer is not to change the will of God, but to secure for ourselves and for others blessings that God is already willing to grant, but that are made conditional on our asking for them” (Bible Dictionary, “Prayer”)."

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOVE this, Abbey! You're amazing, do you know that?? So impressed with you and your happiness. Thanks x1000 for sharing your light.

    ReplyDelete